Sherman Inlet post. [Inuk with frozen wolf on shoulders in front
Territories Archives/N-1986-002: 0159)
traded with distant groups of Inuit including the Hanningajurmiut
of the Garry Lake area and the Illuilirmiut of the Adelaide Peninsula.
As these groups had the choice of trading at Perry River, or with
the HBC at Gjoa Haven, Angulalik set up an outpost to trade with
these people on a point to the southwest of the entrance to Sherman
Inlet. The point is called Atanikittuq [“little
connection”] in Inuktitut as it would be an island if not
for a very narrow connection of land to the mainland. The post
is commonly referred to as the Sherman Inlet post. Angulalik’s
adopted son George Oakoak ran the post on behalf of Angulalik
for its entire existence between 1948 and 1955. A year before
the post closed the catholic priest Father Henry (Kajualuk) built
a small mission at Atanikittuq that he named Sainte Croix.
Angulalik, with his first wife Kuptana who is holding
the boy on the right is George Oakoak.
Territories Archives/N-1987-033: 1204)