was born into an Ahiarmiut family around 1898 in the vicinity
of the Ellice River (Kuunnuaq) on the Queen Maud Gulf. His father
was Oakoak and mother Okalitaaknahik. On his father’s side
his grandfather was Illiviujaq and grandmother Koihok. Angulalik
first appears in documentary sources in 1923 when he was recorded
to be living in Killingujaq (Kent Peninsula) with his wives Koloahok
and Kuptana, a daughter Kaitok (Rowena), and an adopted son Oakoak
(George). Angulalik later adopted Nakoyak (Jimmy) from Topilikon
(l to r) Angulalik, Kolaohok (holding Donald Ayalik) and Kuptana.
Territories Archives/N- 1986-002: 0011)
the time of Knud Rasmussen’s visit, Angulaalik was living
close to the HBC trading post at Kent Peninsula. It had been the
most eastern post in the Kitikmeot since its inception in 1920,
until the establishment of an even more remote HBC post at Simpson
Strait in 1923 by Peter Norberg. It was at the HBC post at Kent
Peninsula that Angulalik would have first had extensive contact
with post manager Hugh Clarke. Clarke had close relations with
the Inuit of the area, becoming fluent in Inuktitut, and fathering
a son and daughter with a woman from the area. The son died, but
the daughter born in 1922, was thought to have survived to adulthood.
relationship between Clarke and Angulalik was very important to
Angulalik’s education in the operation of a trading post.
Angulalik worked with Clarke at the Kent Peninsula post and was
taught much about the fur trading business according to Clarke's
late former wife Marjory Robertson. Clarke left the north and
the HBC in the summer of 1924, and married Marjory Robertson in
1925 in Vancouver, British Columbia. He was soon engaged by C.T.
Pederson of Canalaska to build the supply ship Nigalik
and Clarke sailed north with the new ship in 1926. That same year
he and George Porter established the Canalaska Trading Post at
C.H. Clarke, manager Canalaska Co., Cambridge Bay, South
Victoria Island, Sept. 1928.
Burwash/National Archives of Canada/
choice of Perry River as a location for its trading post is very
likely to be a product of Clarke’s close relationship with
Angulalik and the Ahiarmiut. According to his former wife, he
thought very highly of the Ahiarmiut, and understood the Perry
River area to be a rich fox trapping area. His knowledge of the
resources of the Perry River area must have come from the Ahiarmiut
and perhaps Angulalik in particular.
is certain is that Angulalik became an important ally and was
key to the success of the Canalaska post. Angulalik’s leadership
of the local Ahiarmiut or Kuugjuarmiut ensured their fidelity
to Clarke’s post. This was key, as an HBC post run by J.
Livingston was also built in 1926, and was located just 7 miles
down river. The relationship of reciprocity between Clarke and
Angulalik is evident in the fact that Clarke built a small house
for Angulalik at the Canalaska post.
was closely associated with the post at Perry River, and was occasionally
employed to assist Clarke and Porter. It was during the years
1926 to 1928 that Angulalik continued the education in the fur
trade he had begun with Clarke at Kent Peninsula. When the Canalaska
and HBC posts at Perry River were forced to shut down operations
in 1928 by Government order, the conditions were opportune for
Angulalik to enter the fur trade as an independent trader. Through
a combination of his own initiative, and with the encouragement
and support of Clarke, arrangements were made for Angulalik to
run an independent trading post supplied by Canalaska.